Current:Home > InvestVince McMahon resigns from WWE after allegations of sexual assault -FutureFinance
Vince McMahon resigns from WWE after allegations of sexual assault
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 20:56:46
Embattled wrestling mogul Vince McMahon resigned Friday from the WWE, the company he founded six decades ago, following allegations of sexual assault made public in a lawsuit a day earlier.
The announcement was made Friday evening in a message to staff by Nick Khan, president of the WWE and a member of the board of directors for TKO, the global conglomerate that owns the wrestling giant.
"Vince McMahon has tendered his resignation from his positions as TKO Executive Chairman and on the TKO Board of Directors," Kahn wrote in the message provided to CBS News. "He will no longer have a role with TKO Group Holdings or WWE."
In a federal lawsuit filed Thursday in Connecticut, a former employee, Janel Grant, accused the 78-year-old McMahon and another WWE employee of sexually assaulting her in the workplace.
The lawsuit also accused McMahon of sexual trafficking, alleging that he pressured Grant into having sex with him and another WWE employee in exchange for her job. In 2020, according to the lawsuit, McMahon allegedly pressured Grant into threesomes with other men, including McMahon's physical therapist and another WWE executive, John Laurinaitis, who is also named as a defendant in the lawsuit.
In a statement provided to CBS News on Friday following his resignation, McMahon said that "Grant's lawsuit is replete with lies, obscene made-up instances that never occurred, and is a vindictive distortion of the truth. I intend to vigorously defend myself against these baseless accusations, and look forward to clearing my name.
"However, out of respect for the WWE Universe, the extraordinary TKO business and its board members and shareholders, partners and constituents, and all of the employees and Superstars who helped make WWE into the global leader it is today, I have decided to resign from my executive chairmanship and the TKO board of directors, effective immediately."
Thursday's lawsuit was the latest in a series of misconduct allegations against McMahon.
In 2022, McMahon stepped back as CEO of WWE while the company investigated him for alleged misconduct, with the probe centered on claims that he paid hush money to a worker with whom he allegedly had an affair. A 2022 report in the Wall Street Journal said that McMahon had agreed to pay more than $12 million to four women.
- In:
- WWE
- TKO Group Holdings
- Wrestling
- Sexual Assault
- Vince McMahon
Faris Tanyos is a news editor for CBSNews.com, where he writes and edits stories and tracks breaking news. He previously worked as a digital news producer at several local news stations up and down the West Coast.
veryGood! (55)
Related
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- ‘Drop in the ocean': UN-backed aid could soon enter Gaza from Egypt, but only at a trickle for now
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom to make a one-day visit to Israel en route to China
- Reporter wins support after Nebraska governor dismissed story because the journalist is Chinese
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Powerball winning numbers from Oct. 18 drawing: Jackpot at $70 million
- Canada removes 41 diplomats from India after New Delhi threatens to revoke their immunity
- USWNT is bringing youngsters in now to help with the future. Smart move.
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Gaza under Israeli siege: Bread lines, yellow water and nonstop explosions
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Fed Chair Powell signals central bank could hold interest rates steady next month
- Greg Norman has 'zero' concerns about future of LIV Golf after PGA Tour-Saudi agreement
- Shootings in Seattle’s Ballard neighborhood kill 1 person and wound 3 others, fire officials say
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Natalee Holloway's Harrowing Final Moments Detailed in Joran van der Sloot's Murder Confession
- Billie Eilish reveals massive new back tattoo, causing mixed social media reactions
- Magnitude 3.5 earthquake shakes near Reno, Nevada, the second quake in two days
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Hollywood’s actors strike is nearing its 100th day. Why hasn’t a deal been reached and what’s next?
Corn Harvests in the Yukon? Study Finds That Climate Change Will Boost Likelihood That Wilderness Gives Way to Agriculture
In big year for labor, California Gov. Gavin Newsom delivers both wins and surprises
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Liberia’s presidential election likely headed for a run-off in closest race since end of civil war
Crypto firms Gemini, DCG sued by New York for allegedly bilking investors of $1.1 billion
New Mexico county official could face a recall over Spanish conquistador statue controversy